Monday, August 29, 2011

August 17 Set-Up

Because I've been away for a week and am falling behind in my blog postings (excuses, excuses, I know!), I'm going to make this set-up posting mainly photographs, except for a couple of quotes from little Julia Grasso (joined by her mom, Catherine) who helped Isabel Freeman and me (Linda) at this set-up. 

This was a two-bedroomed, one bathroom apartment for a mom, dad and their two little girls which made it a perfect set-up for Julia to help us with...and help she did.  She began by joining in and carrying stuff from our cars.  Upon seeing all the toys she quietly said to her Mom, "I don't know about you, but I kinda wish I was homeless..." If you were able to make our end of school meeting at the beautiful  Grasso family home last summer (2010), this comment would really make you laugh.  Just goes to show what kids notice!



 Julia took a lot of time getting the girls' beds just so.  While Catherine made the beds and did the practical stuff, Julia arranged, which is no surprise since her Mom is an interior designer!




She made sure that she placed the Cuties, handmade with love by Topanga Elementary School Fourth Graders, in a prominent position on each bed, deciding they looked best out of their plastic wrapping.




And then, when we were ready to go, we waited a few minutes while she did something that touched all of us beyond measure.  She hand wrote a welcome note to the little girls who were moving in.




As Isabel, Catherine, Julia and I did our final 'walk-through' of the apartment, tweaking and making sure everything was just right, Julia said, "The kitchen is kind of small but I really like the toaster."

And then walking out the door she echoed a sentiment that I'll bet a lot of Topanga kids would agree with her on:  "If I lived here, I'd ride my bike all over these paths."

This demonstrated to me, once more, the importance of making these small apartments as comfortable and welcoming for these families as possible because through the eyes of a child, you really see the magical transformation of a bare-bones space into a welcoming and more comfortable home.







2 comments:

  1. Catherine McClenahanAugust 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM

    How wonderful. I think her wishing she was homeless comment really meant that she was picking up on how much love goes into these set ups and the people moving in get that most important love energy as well as all the "stuff".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was wonderful, too! She thought the apartment was 'beautiful!'

    ReplyDelete