Friday, October 7, 2011

Set-Up Today, 10/7 and Tuesday, 10/11 (OOPS, forget to send this to press and it was in my draft file)

Date Correction
Thank you Toni Colvin for noticing I put the wrong date for this coming Tuesday's set-up, but the real date is October 11th.  Mary has said she's free and can help and if anyone else can join us, please let me know.  I need to get back down to the Bin to see just what we have in the way of children's clothing but if you happen to have any outgrown little boy's clothing still in decent condition (sizes 8 and 6) that you'd like to move along, let me know!  Here's the latest info I have for the family moving in to 1351-D on Tuesday. 



Can You Help With Any of the Following Items?

Non-Perishable Foods (cereal, pb & j, sugar, flour, instant coffee, tuna, soups, mac 'n cheese, pasta, spaghetti sauce, mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper, cooking oil and the beat goes on....

Paper Goods:  We're completely out of toilet paper (and I forgot to buy some for today's set-up).  We're running low on paper towels.  Out of napkins, baggies, tall kitchen trash bags, aluminum foil and plastic wrap.

Plastic Containers:  We're now officially out of plastic containers for storing food in.  If you see any of the Glad or other sets on sale, they're usually a good deal and not nearly as expensive as Tupperware-like products.

Fresh Fruit:  I really think putting some fresh fruit on the dining table is a great idea.  Good to encourage healthy eat habits and it's a decoration!  So anytime you can offer some fruit the day before/day of a set-up, that would be great.  Just let me know if you're going to bring it so we don't double up.

Area Rugs:  I know I'm sounding like a tired old record, but keep your eyes open for any area rugs for $20 and under and remember, we'll reimburse you.  They make a huge difference.  I'd also love to have smaller rugs to put by the beds.  Hey, a girl can dream.


Today's Set-Up
Today's set up went super smoothly, aside from forgetting (mea culpa) two twin mattress pads (thanks for running to Ross for us, Linda Mann!) and I'm sure you'll agree, the end result will please the incoming family.  It's a small unit with only two bedrooms and one bathroom and the boy and girl will be sharing a bedroom.  We did our best to create an individual feeling for each child and I think it worked.

Many thanks to Pia Christensen who helped me pull all the items for today's family and after helping at yesterday's set-up in Venice, it was a long day.  Isabel Freeman, Linda Mann and Mary Morley (who's back in town after her two-month road trip!) spun their magic and created a lovely home for this new family as you'll see from the pictures that follow.  It's always fun to see if you can find your donations in the pictures.  Look closely!



I don't think this one qt. container was meant for utensils, but it works perfectly in the kitchen.  
It's fun to look in discount stores for multi-use items.  Remember, we're the queens of cheap!  Measuring spoons and a couple of cooking mags complete Mary's arrangement!

 The cupboards were full!  Thank you!

There's another one of our cheap rugs adding real pop and warmth to the room.  I think the cushions and cozy throw are pretty great, too.  On the table are some old National Geographics and I mean OLD.  One was from 1967, the year after I graduated they were still compelling reading.  
My point:  old magazines are wonderful additions to these set-ups. 


This is Kwanta's bed.  Look closely, you'll see a yellow in the pattern of his comforter that matches the yellow of his sister's comforter.  Cutie and sweet note are cozied up to the monkey and bears.  
What little boy wouldn't like a bed like this!

 
I think Khariana's bed looks so welcoming, especially with the sunbeam spilling through the window. I loved the fact that there was a tree right outside her window.   
Did you read 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?'  
I couldn't help but think of Francie and Neely, the protagonists in that compelling series of novels.


These Cuties from Topanga Elementary Fourth Graders are just getting better and better and the notes written to welcome the incoming children are so very dear.

 A long shot of the kids' bedroom.


The master bedroom.  I think it really looks welcoming and having adult books is a nice addition to their room.  Karen and I found these sheets for $12.99 and the QS comforter $16.99 at Ross.  
Pretty good deals!

I think the bathroom turned out really nicely.  When Linda Mann ran over to Ross for the mattress pads, she couldn't resist the liquid soap/hand lotion set.  They were a great addition to the bathroom.  Love the turquoise wash cloths with the green towels. Nice job, Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment