Monday, October 24, 2011

The latest

I'm in Eastbourne, E. Sussex, England at the Starbucks closest to my Mother's house...the place where I can actually use wireless and get on my computer.  I can do slowmo stuff at my Mum's but not with my computer.  It takes patience.  This just takes speed as I need to type quickly enough so I can finish before my battery says no more.

This is just a quickish update on the latest.  Firstly, I hope you all noticed the new TWC handout which was in the Topanga Chamber of Commerce publication which was recently sent to all households in Topanga.  Bruce Royer, Chamber president and husband of TWC member Teresa, kindly offered this free opportunity for TWC to get our message out to the whole community.   There was only one problem:  we didn't have anything to send.  He then suggested that Jennifer Babcock could most likely design something for us that was catchy and would fit inside the Chamber publication which she did... quickly and for a great price since we're a non-profit. The caliber of her work, quick turn-around and good communication skills were terrific and Karen and I can heartily recommend her to all of you if you have any publication needs.  She's terrific!  So, we had 4,000 (give or take a few hundred) printed and you'll see some pictures below that show you just what we had to do to get them out...i.e., stuffing in the Chamber mailer.  It was, um, fun. We also have enough to share with those interested in TWC.

Lisa handled the bin this past Friday and I haven't heard from her yet, but gather that she was putting away all the stuff I left for her in the center aisle of the bin!  Thanks Lisa.

The Friday before Mary Morley helped April and her twin sis Ashley with their first bin duty.  They were busy and accomplished a lot.  Thanks, ladies.  Nancy Hanson, our coordinator, will be sending out updates for this coming Friday.  

We've got an upcoming set-up on November 1st which Isabel Freeman will coordinate.  I would appreciate it, though, if anyone who is available to help on that date contact Isabel Freeman at isabel.freeman@verizon.net.  Thank you.

And finally, before the pictures, I want to encourage all of you to attend our next meeting at my house on Thursday, November 17, 7 PM.  Krista Stilley, the director of Westwood Transitional Village will join us.  She's a terrific young woman, dynamic and always upbeat and I'd like for her to meet as many of you as possible.

And now photos of the 'stuffing party.'  Geraldine, April, Deborah, Nancy, Teresa and I worked hard that first night and almost finished.  Paulette joined Teresa and I a few days later and we made pretty short work of it after we decided to abandon the sticky dots...which proved to be not quite as sticky as we'd originally hoped.
 
 Happy Birthday, Geraldine!  Bet this isn't quite how you envisaged spending your birthday night!

 Teresa and Deborah, staying on task.  
We were all trying to catch up with speed-queen, April!


Bruce figured out how to keep the troops happy.  Champagne to celebrate Geraldine's special day!
Those boxes by the door were stuffed and ready for mailing.


I should have suppressed the flash, but you get the picture.  
Take one TWC insert, stuff into Chamber mailer, 
wrestle tiny, sticky dot from sheet and stick the two together...
and then scream.

These boxes give you an idea of what a daunting task it was.  
One thousand down, only two thousand to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment