Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Today's Set-Up, Tuesday October 11

The weather gods were smiling on us today as it wasn't overly hot and we dodged the 100 degree temps forecast for tomorrow and Thursday.  Yay!

Mary had helped me pull items on Sunday so today it was just a matter of showing up at the bin and loading our cars.  Teresa Rosati-Royer, Catherine McClenahan, Mary Morley and I headed over to Westwood around 9:30 AM with our cars packed with [almost] everything we need.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh...I'd somehow not picked up the big blue Ikea bag that had the pots and pans and cutlery in it and had to run down to Ross to grab those items.  Of course when I popped into the Bin after the set-up, the big blue Ikea bag     was sitting right where I'd left it...oh well.  (confession: my language in the car on the way to Ross was as blue as that bag!).  But, while there, I did find some good deals on single bed sheet sets. 

Teresa, Mary and Catherine are seasoned setter-uppers and everything was done and dusted in an hour and a half and here are a few pictures that give you a better idea of how it turned out.  I love the way TWC can make each unit look just that little bit different, thanks in great part to your super donations.  No doubt you'll recognize something of yours in the pictures. Click on them to enlarge.

Cook books, a cute little container with napkins and some measuring spoons.  
The cookbooks are a great addition to each set-up, but I still haven't given up 
on the idea of TWC creating one for the families we serve.  
[Gentle hint:  if you haven't done so yet, please send family favorite recipes 
with accurate instructions, measurements, cooking times, etc., 
as well as a one or two sentence little intro to each recipe.

 Fresh fruit on the dining room table and a welcome note to Lorena and her boys,
Michael and Matthew. 
Teresa bought the fruit and I think it makes a real impact when you walk into the flat.


Living room with a small rug but it still helps the place feel warmer.  
Mary found the cushions when she stopped by an estate sale on Sunday
and they looked great.

A chair made a little more welcoming with a cushion.

 
This is in the living room.  I'm sure Matthew and Michael, aged 4 and 6, 
will be thrilled when they walk through the front door.

Doesn't this look welcoming? The other little boy's bed looked just as cozy...
each with their own big teddy and other stuffed animals.

Another Cutie from a Topanga Elementary School 
Fourth Grader.  I just love these notes.

Their chest of drawers.  Look at the really darling clock in the background.
Catherine brought that with her this morning.

 It's a handicapped bathroom and extra big. Unfortunately, there were no towel rails
so here's a shot of the shower curtain.  Exciting, I know.

Another shot of the bathroom.  The colors all worked really well together.  
Not that you can tell from this bad photo!


Lorena's bedroom.  I can't remember who gave us this quilt, 
but I think it looks terrific in her room. I'm sure she'll love it.


Mom's chest of drawers.  We had a pack of greeting cards but Mary found 
a better use for them.  She slipped a card into each picture frame and I think they look great.

Hopefully this young Mom and her two little boys will find some 
peace and happiness in their new home. 


Don't forget the Open Bin this coming Friday.  April and her twin Ashley will be there, along with Mary Morley.  If you can remember to stop by with any non-perishables, that would be terrific.





1 comment:

  1. Aha! Just heard from Annie Gabbert. That gorgeous quilt was her donation. I was racking my brain trying to remember.

    ReplyDelete